Manotick Miler ~ Race Recap | The Life of K: Manotick Miler ~ Race Recap

Friday, May 19, 2017

Manotick Miler ~ Race Recap

While living a life on-call as a doula, I missed a lot of events. Never a big holiday or anything, but little things here and there: a school pick-up, dinner with friends, a baseball game. Now that I'm working a regular 9-5 desk job and not on call, I promised myself I would take advantage and do more things.

Things like going to Atlanta, running races and going to yoga festivals (eee!) I've done the Manotick Miler in past years, both myself and with the family. It's a great little race not far from home. I like the community feel and the small crowds compared to Ottawa Race Weekend or the Army Run. I signed up for the 3-mile and figured out a quasi training plan (I'm not so great when it comes to training plans)

Then life happened.

The weather was bad. I went to Atlanta. I had my first ever craft show. All of a sudden the race was less than a week away and I hadn't run at all. I managed to squeeze in two runs: the first was not-quite-2 miles on the treadmill at the gym, then a wet not-even-2K run in my neighbourhood. Obviously, I was set (total sarcasm).

The forecast for Sunday was looking blah: cold and rainy. I was determined to not miss the race and got myself bundled up and left. Despite the weather, there were lots of people out. InStride does a good job with their events and this race was no exception. The start line was right on Main Street, and after taking cover next to a building, I got into the corral with J's mom and dad.

Cold and wet before the race.
When the gun went off, J's dad took off, but his mom and I stuck together. She was race-walking and I was jogging. It was a much slower pace than I'm used to, but it meant I was able to run the entire 3-miles. I was cramping near the end but crossed the line at 38 minutes. Other than the 5K I walked with Little J in the stroller while pregnant with Little K, it was my slowest almost-5K ever, but I don't care. I did it.
Warm and wet finish.

I had signed up for the 1-miler with J and the kids but we decided to skip it. None of us was feeling 100% and a run in the rain didn't feel like the best idea. Just over a week later my body has recovered and I've already signed up for my next race: the Free Spirit 5K at the City of OM yoga festival in June! It's a fun run at the beginning of a day full of yoga classes and workshops. Who knows, maybe I'll manage more than 2 training runs before then.

Maybe not and I'm okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment