Sick Baby | The Life of K: Sick Baby

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Sick Baby

Having a sick baby is somewhat like having a newborn. Baby J got a cold and hasn't been sleeping well. It all started Saturday when I was solo-parenting. We went to a friend's house across town for her birthday. The house was full of people I didn't know and Baby J was cranky. I was happy to have dinner made for me and the company of the only people there that I knew.

I left earlier than most regular party-goers and zoomed home. Truthfully, I was tired. Baby J fell asleep the last 5 minutes of the drive. He woke up when I brought him inside so I fed him and put him to bed. He was quiet so I quickly brushed my teeth and jumped into bed.

I had just fallen asleep - book open, light on - when he started screaming. SCREAMING! That started a 4 hour scream-fest. I tried everything - Tylenol, Advil, homeopathic drugs for teething and for colds, food, more clothes, less clothes, clean diaper, bouncing, back rubbing, pulling my hair out and finally crying.

I was lying in the dark on the bed in Baby J's room. He was standing at the headboard bouncing and whimpering when the tears started to fall. I looked up at my little monster, not knowing what his problem was, and the little jerk laughed in my face. Glad that cheered him up.

I decided to change tactics. There was nothing wrong with him that I could tell so I went to my room and lay down on my bed. He walked around the bed over and over with an old remote in his hand, whimpering the whole time.

I caved. He was awake and there was nothing I could do about it and my room isn't the safest place for him, especially when I'm trying to ignore him in favour of my book. I took him to the basement where his toys are and he's safe.

I was tired and cold so I lay on the couch with a blanket on me. He played and played, no screaming, no whimpering, a pretty happy little boy. I must have fallen asleep because I woke up when he smashed his face into mine.

He does this thing when he's tired - he buries his face in a soft blanket. The blanket I was using. I decided it was time for bed. Thankfully he was exhausted and went right to sleep.

But what a night. I almost caved and called J up at the cottage to come home and rescue me. I'm glad I didn't because what kind of person would that make me? I can't even look after my own kid for one night alone. Sad.

Sunday morning is when I realized that Baby J had a big cold. The entire night made a lot more sense. We spent the day inside. I tried to get him to eat though he hardly ate anything. It was nice when J got home. I told him about our nightmare night and had a nap.

I'm happy to report that Sunday night was better. Baby J cried out multiple times but I only had to get up 3 times. Last night was even better - he slept 11 hours straight. The cold is still holding on but getting better every day.

Let me tell you - next time I see a snotty-nosed kid, Baby J isn't going anywhere near them!

1 comment:

  1. oh no! Sounds awful! Those nights are so terrible...I tend to cave and go out to the living room, turn on a cartoon and try to doze on the couch!