Social weekend | The Life of K: Social weekend

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Social weekend

The big goings on of this past weekend were the social events that I've been avoiding all too often in the last few months. There was a bachelorette party and a baby shower. But let's back up to Friday night so I can regale you with my super exciting night: I went to bed before 9pm and slept for almost 12 hours. How is that possible you ask.. well I don't know. But it happened and my life got more exciting after that.

Saturday was beautiful. Honestly. Summer weather in April. That hardly ever happens, but it did and we took advantage. J and LS spent hours washing and waxing their cars. I went for a run and got sunburnt. My run was better than the last one so I'm hopeful I'll still be able to pull off the 5K. Speaking of the race, I'm really proud of J for signing up for the 1/2 marathon at race weekend. The 5K is Saturday night and the half is Sunday morning. The poor guy though doesn't just want to finish, he wants to beat my time and his dad's time from last year's Army race. Probably doable, but I'd rather him just go to finish and see how things go. He's too competitive for that. I'll be cheering from the sidelines.

I knew that running is hard on me these days so I slept for a while in the afternoon before heading out. We had dinner with J's family. A nice bbq on the deck before the storm rolled in. When the storm was gearing up (apparently a tornado touched down even!) I was heading downtown for JK's bachelorette party. I found the little restaurant in the market and spent the next 4 hours playing games and catching up with some ball girls. JK was done by the time I left. Poor her, the party was only gearing up, heading to the bar. I headed home exhausted.

Sunday day was nice. We actually had no plans so I had a chance to make two onesies for JB's shower, time to do laundry and catch up on tv. J had time to sleep in. Hardcore. I managed to drag him into Walmart (he didn't even cry!) and to some other stores. The boy hates shopping. We had dinner so I could go to my party.

The baby shower was actually the first one I'd been to outside of work. BC organized and hosted and did a great job. There was tons of food and drinks and games and presents and I had a great time. I was worried it was going to be a huge group of girls that I didn't know all squeeling over pink and frilly baby stuff, but it wasn't. There were maybe a dozen of us and hardly any squeeling at all. The games were actually fun. I won a little massager thingy.

[Let me go on a rant here for a minute. Possibly a hormonal rant, but I have my excuse.]

A couple of weeks ago, a woman at work told me that I looked pregnant from the back. People, I don't care if this is true, in my case or with anybody else: NEVER say this to a pregnant woman! She is hormonal and may cry and have to "go home sick". Tell her (i.e. me) that she looks good, that she looks like she did before except the little belly sticking out, that she's glowing... pour on the compliments. Believe me, she doesn't want to hear how big her ass has gotten or that her face is getting fat. Be nice to the crazy lady.

[End rant.]

The girls at the shower said all the right things to me. I didn't cry. It was nice.

Even after a busy weekend, I was dreading going back to work. I can't wait for my new coworkers to be trained enough to take on their own work. It's busybusybusy and I'm tired. I'm *this* close to starting a countdown until my mat leave, not that I know when that'll start yet. Decisions decisions.